Friday, February 11, 2011

The Up Rising














Like you, I have been watching the historic events in Egypt. The commitment, courage, and calm of the demonstrators has been inspiring. It got me to thinking. Would I be willing to take such a courageous stand? If so,what would be the cause? Yes, I have written to congress, signed petitions, but would I stand for a week in the city square for a cause  unsure of safety and the outcome?

Mubarak 's desire to keep control and his unwillingness to deal with the demonstrations has weaken his ability to lead effective change in his country. When my position or views are challenged, how do I respond? Become defensive, ignore the opposition, fight?

While what we may face in opposition pales in comparison to what the Egyptians are facing, there are lessons to be learned. Several key values are important in  challenging and chaotic situations/times.  1) Be clear about you purpose/mission. The demonstrators are  clear about their purpose and mission. 2) Be willing to dialogue -speak, but also listen. (Something Mubarak  was unable to do effectively.)   Not every challenge that comes your way is valid, but that will only become clear if there is dialogue. 3) Patience and calm are strong virtues and give strength to resolve. 4) Have the courage to stand firm ,weather,  and face the opposition for the long haul; too often it is easier to give in or give up.

What thoughts do you have ?

PS As  I post  this Mubarak has left the Capital and turned power over to the Army



No comments:

Post a Comment